Monday, July 27, 2009

The 2009 Best Burger Search

The fam and I are doing a little contest this summer. We are a red meat eating kind of family and after having a burger one day, we decided to search the Bay Area for the Best Burger.
We made a list of 10 spots that we had tried or heard good things about and hope to try them all and rate them over the next couple of months. The funny thing is that once I had let people know what we were doing, we received another 10 places we should try! At this rate, I will be eating burgers everyday...not that I'm complaining!

To aid in our scoring, we made a score sheet that judges things such as: taste, freshness of ingredients, appearance and how well the burger holds together (nothing worse than having the bun fall apart on you!). We have also added a section for fries and onion rings but its not as detailed. My boys are taking this pretty seriously.

Last Wednesday, we tried our first burger. It's a place in San Mateo called Jack's Prime. I had heard about this place from my sister and a couple of people on facebook had also commented about it. Seeing how it was not too far from our place, we decided to try it.
To me, Jack's was nothing special and I was not impressed. I ordered their "Classic Cheeseburger" with pepper jack cheese. None of us were asked how we wanted it cooked and nowhere on the menu did it state how it came cooked. It came well-done. I prefer mine a little pink. My bun was a little over toasted on the edges. Not a big deal really but if Im rating the burger I'm going to call it like I see it. When I took a bite, I tasted their "special" sauce more than the burger. I don't know about you but when I bite a burger, I want to taste meat. The burger itself wasn't too juicy. It was not dry, but it wasn't juicy either.
To sum it up, Jack's was pretty ordinary. And.....the service sucked.
I'm willing to give Jack's another try, maybe they just had an off night...but, I'm not expecting much.

No comments: