Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Go Fire Strikers!

I have mentioned the soccer team I coach before. My youngest son, Xavier, plays on this team and this is the first time I am coaching him. When the season first started I was wondering what I got myself into. I had an assistant coach signed up with me but he was a no-show. It turns out he had family stuff that wouldn't let him commit to the time but he is still actively involved in the team as his son plays. He's kind of an assistant coach but not official. So, in the beginning it was me and 12 8-9 year olds...I bet you can almost feel my frustration already. Since this is an AYSO league, all kids play. I have no problem with that but what it means is that there are usually kids on the field that do not really want to be there or arent the most coordinated. No problem, really...just makes things interesting.
As the season started, I saw potential in these little guys. They all had played soccer before (same league, lower age bracket) and they all seemed like they wanted to be there. Phew, what a relief. My task became to teach these boys some soccer (each division adds more of the regular soccer rules to the game) and find a lineup that worked. The "regular" season doesnt count in this league as wins and losses arent tallied. At the end of the season there is a round robin tournament, then a playoff system if you qualify.
I tinkered with lineups almost every week for games hoping to stumble across the right one. It is not easy when no one wants to play goalie or everyone thinks they are the next Beckham, let me tell you. So we had our ups and downs. We lost some. We tied some...and we won some. Through the course of the season I have worn the hat of peacemaker, motivator, disciplinarian and coach for the kids... and sounding board, baby sitter (in a good way), friend (I hope) and coach to the parents. It has been a "job" that I have taken seriously, cared too much for, couldnt wait to be over and enjoyed immensely at one time or another through the course of the season. In short, looking back, I had a great time.
This Saturday, the Fire Strikers or U10 B-07 (as we are officially known) will play in the semi-finals. We entered the playoffs as the #1 seed after finishing the regular season in the middle of the pack (unofficially). If we win Saturday morning, we play at 2pm the same day for the Championship! I have half jokingly told some parents and the team, that its all about having fun...BUT, its more fun when you win! I know, bad, bad bad....but we all know its true. However, this past weekend, I witnessed my team play soccer like it has yet to all season and it was beautiful. Passes were made. Shots were taken. Defense was played...it was awesome. I saw kids on my team who didnt seem to have an aggressive bone in their body take the ball and dribble past defenders like there was no tomorrow. I saw kids move back into position before I could yell at them to do so. It was as if the all the practices for the past 12 weeks finally sunk in at the same time. I was more proud of this team, my team, than ever before. As much as I would like these boys to win the championship...and I know that not winning it will seem like such a downer to the team....if our season were to end Saturday morning, to me, I was successful. We were successful. I saw all I needed to see last weekend. Regardless of how this all ends up, these boys had a great season and nothing can take that away from them. Thats my new task...to show these boys, if we dont win, that it was all great anyway. Just between you and me, I hope I dont have to complete that task! GO FIRE STRIKERS!

1 comment:

jnnut said...

Great coaching makes for a great team. Keep up the good work! It certainly pays off. I took my kids out of AYSO when Kyle (#2) played and there was no such thing as winning & losing. How is that teaching the kids about winning some & losing some? Same with little league. I'd rather put the boys in a Pony League/Mustang/Pinto league vs a regular little league. talk about a competitive mom huh?
Anyhow, another great season for great kids coached by an awesome coach! Yippeee!