Friday, August 22, 2008

Four Letter Words

Golf. Love. Life.
These probably aren't the words you think of when someone says "four-lettered" words but I think these fit with the others on occassion.
Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy all three but they all can drive you nuts and make you scream.
Played golf yesterday for work (another four lettered word mind you), and had a great time overall but golf is the great humbler. Shots you think you can make get sprayed onto other fairways. Putts, roll right by the hole or stop just inches short, ARGH. It's enough to want to make me take up tennis instead! But then, just when you think you have had enough, you sink a 22 footer from the fringe to save par and stay tied! Move over Tiger!
Love and Life are the same way.
I have a friend that is going through a divorce and it hasn't been easy for her. She's a great person, deserves the best, yada-yada. I hope that she realizes, or I can help her see, that just when you think you have something down, that you think you understand how to make it work, is usually when you get tested. It's not that you can't do it anymore, or you forgot, rather its that if it were too easy, you wouldn't appreciate just how hard it really is. That you have actually succeeded for awhile now, have done quite well and life is just catching up a bit.
I hope I don't sound like Dr. Phil and I am by no means an expert, but that's how I see it. Love and life are not games by any stretch but there is no reason why we can't enjoy them. We just cant let those things keep us down.

1 comment:

jnnut said...

Well said about love & life. It's about believing in yourself, moving forward and making it better. I for one can speak the truth in that. Divorce is always ugly no matter what but it's what you learn from it and how you keep being strong through it all...Good friends like you is what it takes to help friends go through a bitter divorce a little bit smoother....

As for golf...you can say that again. That's why I don't play! For me that four letter word would only end up being, " FORE!"