Monday, August 4, 2008

Paint, Tequila and a Midnight Drive

Its Monday morning and despite a couple of long days this weekend, I'm feeling pretty good. I spent the weekend at my mom's painting the inside of her house. Marna (my wife) my two boys Alejandro and Xaiver and our good friend Bridget, all got our hands dirty and painted. I have to say, my boys did great. The had a good time, didnt complain and we accomplished what we set out to do. Great job boys!
I also need to thank Bridget. Bridget is a friend that started off as a coworker. She has met my mom a couple of times but by no means should she be painting my mom's house. Where was she on Saturday and Sunday? Painting my mom's house! The deal was we get friends to help paint, and my mom would feed them some excellent Mexican food. The plan went as designed and I think my mom and Bridget each found a new drinking partner in each other as a bonus. Bridget, thinking my mom wouldnt do it, told my mom that she would have as many shots of tequila as my mom did! Five shots later, Bridget had learned to keep her mouth shut around my mom! It was a great way to end the weekend....though my mom was trying to persuade Bridget to come to Lake Tahoe with us next week for more fun!
So I am sitting at home last night, getting ready for the week and my cell phone rings. It's my friend Tanman, who I think is still overseas. I answer the phone and I get hit with a favor request - I am at the airport, can you drive me home? Ah, but here is the catch....Tanman lives 1 hr away from me! Its after 9 pm, closer to 10 really and I am beat. The next thing I know, I am driving to Boulder Creek. Some would say I am a good friend and that may be true but aside from Tanman being one of the few friends I would do this for, the real reason I drove him home was because of Bridget. Bridget was a friend to me and my family this weekend. There is no way we would have finished painting without her help. How big of a hypocrite would I have been had I told him no after she so willingly helped us?
Sometimes the opportunity to keep a string of kindness going comes at inconvenient times. We must make sure that we seize those opportunities whenever possible.

No comments: